Like so many others, I love the Christmas season! Children look forward to doing the activities they enjoyed last year. Adults also like the nostalgia of specific traditions and activities.
Here are a few things that are fun to do every year. Maybe there is a new idea tucked inside this list for you!
12) Send out Christmas cards. It’s still nice to be remembered around the holidays—especially if your loved ones live far away. Some folks decorate their homes and apartments with Christmas cards.
11) Buy or make a new ornament or Christmas decoration. My husband and I began this annual tradition as a newly married couple. Children love this one!
10) Decorate your home for Christmas. I love the fresh smell of a real tree every year, but my husband is not a fan. Whether you put up a tree or not, a few decorations add to the festive mood of the holiday.
9) Decorate a Gingerbread house. Perhaps you are about as artistic as me. Thankfully there are gingerbread kits you can buy. The children in your life will love decorating a house with candy that they can eat afterward!
8) Listen to Christmas music as you drive around looking at Christmas lights. My family had very little money growing up, but we did this every year—a special memory.
7) Donate a gift to a charity or needy family. If this gift involves shopping, include your child if feasible. They will feel part of the giving.
5) Treat yourself to a meal out after a long day of shopping. Even if it’s fast food, you won’t have to cook!
4) Plan an evening to watch Christmas movies/shows with family or friends. Serve holiday desserts or popcorn. This can be an easy holiday gathering. Just have fun.
2) Visit a Nativity.
1) Attend Christmas Eve services.
What is your favorite holiday tradition?
-Sandra Merville Hart