by Sandra Merville Hart
So Joseph also went up from the town of Nazareth in Galilee to Judea, to Bethlehem the town of David, because he belonged to the house and line of David. He went there to register with Mary, who was pledged to be married to him and was expecting a child.
While they were there, the time came for the baby to be born, and she gave birth to her firstborn, a son. She wrapped him in cloths and placed him in a manger, because there was no room for them in the inn. (Luke 1:4-7)
The manger—a trough for horses and cattle to eat from—was the first bed for Jesus because there was no room at the inn.
Here’s a list of ten traditional Christmas songs that mention a manger:
- “Away in a Manger”
- “Angels We Have Heard on High” – See him in a manger laid
- “Good Christian Men Rejoice” – And he is in the manger now
- “Angels and Shepherds” – Lo he is lying, born in a manger
- “Gentle Mary Laid Her Child” – Gentle Mary laid her child lowly in a manger
- “O Come, All Ye Faithful” – Child, for us sinners poor and in the manger
- “While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks” – and in a manger laid
- “Mary’s Boy Child” – and in a manger cold and dark
- “O Holy Night” – The King of Kings lay thus lowly manger
- “Fum, Fum, Fum” In a manger poor and lowly
Can you think of others?
“Christmas Lyrics,” Mikeleal.com, 2021/10/04 http://www.mikeleal.com/christmas/songs.html.